What a year 2014 was for Cricket, especially that of International Cricket with West Indies vs India. In 2014 when we all heard about the upcoming test of West Indies vs India in Indian many West Indians like myself were so excited seeing that West Indies look as if they were about to turn a corner and get back to their winning ways having just one the T20 Worldcup of cricket.
The team selection for the upcoming tour looked like this:
West Indies Squad: Dwayne Bravo, Darren Bravo, Jason Holder, Leon Johnson, Kieron Pollard, Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Darren Sammy, Marlon Samuels, Dwayne Smith, Jerome Taylor, Sulieman Benn, Nikita Miller
India Squad: MS Dhoni, Shikhar Dhawan, Ajinkya Rahane, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, Ravindra Jadeja, Amit Mishra, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Umesh Yadav, Murali Vijay, Kuldeep Yadav, Ishant Sharma, Axar Patel
The squad for both team, seem rather impressive which would see sponsors and spectators getting their money’s worth for this upcoming tour. This tour of India would see the West Indies Cricket Board coming out of the red. Once news broke on the airwaves on the impasse between the board and players, spectators along with players weren’t in any mindset to take any nonsense from the board, all they wanted was for the contract sent to them to be rescinded and a new contract drawn up to be agreed on by both parties. This was a hard pill to swallow that our players had walked off a tour because they didn’t agree to the terms and conditions set out by their present board.
I too had concerns of my own and made sure that on a daily basis I used social media to make it known to all. This made for interesting conversation on how to pave the way forward for cricket in the region.
- My question what is the purpose of these individuals at the WICB, Board of Directors Wycliffe ‘Dave’ Cameron Hon. Ambassador Emmanuel Nanthan Vice President, Joel Garner MBE Member Director, Deighton Smith Member Director, Anand Sanasie Member Director, Anand Kalladeen Member Director, Wilford ‘Billy’ Heaven Member Director, Dr. Donovan Bennett Member Director, Enoch Lewis Member Director, Baldath Mahabir Member Director, Azim Bassarath Member Director Julian Charles Member Director, Elson Crick Member Director Hon. Richard ‘Ricky’ Skerritt Non-member Director (CARICOM nominee) Clifford Reis Non-member Director Jennifer Nero Non-member Director Don Wehby Non-member Director.
- If anyone of the WICB members says they had a happy Christmas they should be ashamed of themselves for the embarrassment they leave us in for 2014 going into 2015.
- Was Caricom going to help them pay the 42 million to BCCI? If so that would be Caricom committing suicide, because there is no chance for them to recoup that money back from the WICB. With all the big salaries they all receiving they should just forgo getting paid this holiday and take that money and give to BCCI.
- I knew this from day one so when people calling for Wavell Hinds to go I knew, Wavell Hinds was not the problem he could have been their saviour but WICB and our players took and high road now we are in this shit of a situation which stinks badly cause all of us Caribbean lovers of Cricket to get sick.
- WIPA looking at the situation just like the rest of us, thinking and saying the same thing amongst themselves and also to those who have ears to hear but them not doing a God dam thing about it. But who feels it knows it, just saying.
- Turning Samuels into a snitch and making a rookie into ODI Captain, that doesn’t look right, and if I were in Holders position I wouldn’t take up the offer to be captain of the ODI team. No matter how good of an offer they made me. Get back the previous captain you and him work out the difference so all can earn a living. Seriously I wonder if everyone sees that all though Holder is ODI Captain and they messing with Pollard, Bravo, and Sammy the issue of salaries have still not been settled. The players that are left out in the cold better make sure that come 2015 or even before they make great friends with their Union to fight tooth and nail for their money. Or else no pampers can be bought, who suppose to go prep school won’t be able to get in. Think about these things!!
- Very harsh letter and I support it 100% but seem as if the WICB not budging at all so what’s the next step, you can sue them for the embarrassment they have caused on the region and on these players family, in one case a particular player is finding it hard to buy baby pampers.
- There goes Arrogant, Pigheaded Dave W. Cameron, but I waiting to see how the WICB going have it coming to them sooner rather than later and who they going call to come help them out the same Caricom but guess what not a sole going to want to assist the board in any shape or form until they get their act together and dam well mean it. This thing is going way too far now and Dave W. Cameron and his boys better back their bags and go for 2015 we really don’t want them at the helm of West Indies Cricket at any management level. I am not joking I don’t care who keeping secret for who but dem better tek wey dem self this minute. One must remember if you don’t make this starting 11 do try for your own domestic league or club league in your little village in the various islands
- Even if Bravo and company did continue the tour WICB would have said, we have these bastards right where we want them. You have finished out the tour so take this little much and go or else you will not be called up again for any future matches. Look what happened when they came back, their own regional bodies took issues with them by not selecting them for regional games. One regional body said they could find a certain player and I know for fact that was a blatant lie to all our faces within the region.
- Then again WICB knew that these guys would have had to sign a contract be it before or after they return (As stated by Michael Holding past player) and you slap them with a contract which isn’t worth the paper it’s written on and expect both players and union to be comfortable and go forth in good grace and nothing blows up in the boards face. Good God West Indies Cricket don’t put food on my table to this dam foolishness has got to stop “Something Gotta Give” (Buju Voice) and you all sit and say oh we are having financial problems so just bear with us hell no that is why these guys will always turn their back on playing for West Indies which no look good and play in all the PL competitions out there, you cannot expect a man to be working for chicken feed especially when he has a family to feed. The members of the Taskforce are a set of lackeys they saying that because they must be drinking partners with many of the WICB representatives.
August 2017 we have the upcoming tour of West Indies vs. England and it’s my hope that what happened in Indian 2014 doesn’t repeat it’self on this England tour. As for I would like to see the West Indies board get their acts together and make this a successful tour for all parties involved. At the end of the day, cricket is every bodies business and we all have a part to play for future generation to have something they can use to make a livelihood from and continue to entertain us with the sport. For me and many other, it’s still “Cricket lovely cricket, as we continue to rally around the West Indies”.