“A fixation with connecting with friends online comes with the risk of disconnection with friends waiting for you to be present in the offline world.” Craig Hodges
Our friendship started in 2005 when as an avid social media individual; I decided to check out one of the many popping social media platforms at that time. Hi5, it was at the time, so I signed up logged on and began to scroll through a whole heap of photos but one photo which struck me the most was that of a Barbados guy, named Henry. If you know me I’m always up for a challenge, yet I’m always in the mode of “What If”?
It was as if I struck gold I click on the mystery man profile and instantly he responded and not with any corny one liner. He cut straight to the chase asking where in Jamaica I reside and if I’m always this forward with guys on social media. I was like, “this Bajan don’t waste time neither does he beat around the bush”. I felt a certain sort of connection but I have never met the mystery Bajan “Henry”. In space of a week, we both exchange phone numbers and the friendship was not just two people speaking behind a computer screen. The mystery Bajan had me liking many things about him although we still haven’t met in person.
- He is straight shooter (He says what’s on his mind, no “Bullshitting” period)
- He is very family oriented always with family doing fun stuff
- We actually share the same interest in sports (Formula 1, Cross-country racing Wrestling, NFL, Basketball etc. we just love it.
- Friday night is his time to do whatever the hell he likes and most Fridays he is at the movies or home relaxing
- He is very adventurous
- He is very spontaneous a great conversationalist we can sit and chat for hours about any and everything.
- I very down to earth Caribbean man (Actually he is not your typical Bajan and that’s my standards)
- We have our differences like any friend how has met each other in person but in spite of differences, we have never wasted any time in rehashing what made us stop speaking with each other for months even years.
- I can just be myself around him all the time.
A funny thing happened, one year the mystery Bajan was coming to Jamaica on work related business at emailed me that he was coming. At the time the email address he had for me I stopped using and never told him that is was inactive. It was long after conversation picks back up and he began to wonder if by chance he didn’t me something wrong or was just being rude but not responding to his email. Then it struck me that I should have dropped him a line or called him to let him know that I changed email access.
My pet peeve with this Bajan is
- Often times we just stop talking for no apparent reason but he never says why
- He would just leave in the middle of a conversation and not say I’m gone or going
- He ought to let his girlfriend know there’s nothing sexual between him and this online individual.
- Always dating insecure females who cannot come clean with him and be telling him how they feel. Now that’s a story for another time (And her name will never be revealed)
It seems like the mystery Bajan has decided to take another break from the friendship, but I shall do what we have always done and acts as if nothing has happened and when he comes back from enjoying himself we shall continue where we left off as per usual. Not actually meeting the mysterious Bajan is quiet a whole heap of fun we never really have any awkward moments with each other but our time online with each other is always a moment to remember…….
This blog was actually taken from my old blog site Nubienqueenb75.wordpress.com
© Nubienqueenb76 2017